works, part 3

.







Ring
watercolour, acrylic paint on paper


































Brooch
watercolour, acrylic paint on paper






















































Earrings
watercolour, acrylic paint on paper


















the artist statement I wrote for the exhibition:






In exploring the colour black I came to realise that I draw the same way that I make jewellery.
I always begin with researching my subject, then I do preliminary drawings, then I go straight to the material, or in this case the paper.

I find black an intriguing colour. It is bold and strong yet at the same time mysterious and deep. Details hide on the surface. These same details require slower scrutiny. Time becomes part of the process of exploring the work.

I wanted these works to be abstract but at the same time intensely detailed, the painting applied across the surface almost the same way metal is etched or engraved, a slow laborious process.

These 12 works are painted using watercolour, then acrylic paint. I did this to create more depth within the work. In one painting I have used Indian ink. All works are hand painted.















.