‘Conversations with Worn Objects’ Blog series- Subhadra

This is the fourth interview in my series, Conversations with Worn Objects.

This is a series about tracing the life of objects once they have left my studio, so I can revisit and reflect on them from the perspective of the wearer.





1. Why did you choose this particular piece of jewellery?

I didn't, a beautiful ex partner of mine commissioned it as a birthday present, it was a surprise. He is still a really close friend of mine. I don't think he chose it either, other than the colour of the stone. It has a stunning little blue sapphire, like the ocean, the place we are always happiest together. But I like that I didn't choose it, I am terribly indecisive.

2. Tell me about the experience of wearing this piece?

The ring was made while I was overseas, and keeping with the surprise couldn't ask me my size. The ring took a while to find its place on my hands, it was too big for the ones I usually adorned, but I didn't want to get it resized either. It found its way to my thumb eventually, which I thought was fitting because he is my base, stable and strong. The silver has worn shiny with wear and edges soffened too as it moulds to my hands.

3. What story does the jewellery piece tell, what is its significance to you?

The ring tells of loss, another ring of yours that I misplaced. From what I have heard, he wanted to commission one in its image, I had been quite upset when I realised it didn't want to be found. But neither of you could remember what it had looked like, there were no drawings or photos.
I remember the day so well that he gave it to me, the first day of sun in London after a long winter, we sat, two homesick Australians, in the courtyard of the Barbican Centre.
Incidentally I found the lost ring a couple of months later, whilst still in London, it had accompanied me everywhere I travelled since, tucked in the crevasses of a much travelled suitcase.
I had imagined where it had ended up many times, what the person who found it would have thought of the intricate inscriptions, undulating surfaces, the warmth of wearing it, like a hug. I wear them together now, on the same finger, reminders of each others importance.

4. What about my practice drew you to commission your piece?

My mother drew me to your work, pieces of hers you had made that I had never seen the like of before. Complex, intricate, imbued with meaning through surface and texture.
Your jewellery is like artefacts.
You can see the makers hand- your mark it present in every piece, I love that it is a process of discovery. A dance between the interior and exterior, the discreet markings on the inside, the wearers secret. The celestial ring has this beautifully twisted band that seems like it had warped with age. I guess you bring presence to objects and material, then you allow the wearer to make it their own.